Thursday, July 25, 2013

Love Fudge and Joey(Cat) and falling Birds.

Fudge and Joey(Cat) and falling Birds.
Hey! A blue tit bird decided that a ‘hole’ in the back wall of my house would be a good place to nest and hatch it’s babies!  Yes we had a nest of squeaking baby birds in the wall above my back door, and two very interested cats sitting below! Oh, Fudge and Joey, both cats fixated! Much to my horror a baby bird fell out of the nest and landed on my patio!!!!!!!  In an instant I was yelling to my family ‘get the cats, a bird has fallen’ and all hands arrived on deck! Oh……
And Fudge & Joey got scooped up by my daughters and shut indoors, and I picked up the tiny baby bird, which as yet did not even have a feather on it and examined it to see if it had survived the fall.  My partner got his ladder out and placed the fallen baby bird back in its nest. 
But I am now thinking, if one fell another could fall and I couldn’t let the cats kill the baby birds, and nor could I just watch the baby birds come crashing to their death! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

Oh……

Of cause, there was nothing else for it I had to stay on baby bird and cat watch! Each time I saw a baby bird near the edge of the nest I grabbed a tea cloth and a family member, and we held the four corners of the tea cloth directly under the nest to catch the baby birds if they fell and fall they did…frequently!Oh…… Each time we caught a baby blue tit on a tea towel, my partner would then climb the ladder and return it to safety, much to the disapproval of Fudge and Joey, who kept seeing a dinner delight snatched from them! And all of the family would be in hysterical laughter. The entire set up was quite simply mad. 
Oh……
Keep the cats from the baby blue tits, and keep the baby blue tits alive! I would sit in the back garden keeping watch, then suddenly have to raise the alarm to get one of my children to grab the other two corners of the tea towel in preparation for yet another baby bird rescue!  And I phoned and asked them if they could come and re-site the birds nest for me, explaining to them the situation and that I feared the baby birds will die. But they said that nothing could be done, and that this happens all the time in the wild, it’s just that we don’t see them fall!
BUT because I could see them fall, I wasn’t just going to leave them!!! Oh, when it was necessary to go out or shut up house for the night, I kept Fudge and Joey shut indoors, locking the cat flap, and using a temporary litter tray for them, and laid a pillow directly under the baby birds nest, so they had a soft landing if they fell!!!

Of cause,  Joey would be happy to stay indoors at night, but any time during the day when it was necessary for the house to be empty, those periods of time had to be kept very short as Joey becomes extremely frustrated if he cannot get out when he wants to. So 99.9% of the time, someone stayed home all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, we continued like this for approximately 4 weeks until the baby blue tit birds started to fly… this posed worse problems, because then when their flying failed them, we couldn’t catch them!  & I like to think that all the baby birds did survive and my ‘falling bird team’ were 100% successful!..........

No comments:

Post a Comment